Friday 1 February 2008

Getting ready for the first class in 2008



The School's scripture  coordinator called me yesterday to inform me that classes would start on 28 February. Scripture classes start a few weeks after the beginning of the first term, to give parents time to decide which classes they will enroll in.
Her estimate is that the number of students enrolling in Buddhism would increase even further this year! It is really amazing. Parents must really feel that Buddhist teachings will benefit their kids.  We had more than 50 students last year, lets see how many we have in 2008. To give you an idea of the context, this is a relatively small school located in Leichhradt, serving an area of Sydney with less than 3% Buddhists.

 

If I have to summarize my plans for this year's teaching preparation, I would do it in one word 'sit'. If I wanted to summarize the learning outcomes for this year, 'metta' (living kindness) is the best I can think of.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello, again!
I saw this in the paper early January, you probably saw the same article. I thought I would post it for you to read if you hadn't already done so:

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23067861-5013110,00.html

It's about the increase in Buddhism in the South coast. :)

I think happiness can only be acquired in Buddhism and I think people are starting to slowly realise this.

Rafael said...

For those teachers following the blog: The date (in my school at least) is the 28/2, not the 21st!
Thanks to those who corrected me.