Thursday 17 September 2009

perception of time

I had one of those days today.... rushing from one place to another, with a sick wife, a hungry baby, tired toddler, an (almost) lost wallet...

At school, I went directly to the classroom before picking up the key to the room in the reception. When I realized, I went to reception as quickly as I could. But, when we started the class the kids where of course quite unsettled.

We bowed and I immediately asked them to sit for meditation. About half did well, four actually did extremely well and sat for at least 15min straight.

For the second group I asked Debbie to lead the class, but she had also not been able to prepare a class. So I sat for a few seconds trying to figure out what was the right thing to talk about. 
Of course: time!

My personal experience after meditating for 2-3 days in a retreat is that things 'slow-down'. At the end of 10 day retreat the effect is always obvious. It is as if we were seen a film and suddenly we can see each frame of it. The great thing is that by being able to see the details in each frame we can enjoy a different aspect of the film. 
I thought this image might be a bit complicated so I used the drawing of a cartoon. One of those that you draw in a notebook and then flick through the pages to see the animation moving.

I explained students how our world demands (or seems to) that we always do more in less time. This is like flicking through the pages quicker and quicker. We all agree that this may the cartoon seem less interesting.
I asked students to make a resolution, just as I would. To do less in more time, and at the same try to enjoy every moment.

I explained that by being aware of our senses and our feelings we can be more aware of time, and enjoy more each moment. 
I don't think the explanation come out terribly clear, but I tried. And as it often happens I still felt satisfied about the class. I should think more about the topic and try to do better next time.

 






2 comments:

Obaitori said...

Thank you. Your blog is wonderful! A beautiful teaching journal which helps you & everyone else on this, at times, thorny path.

Obaitori said...

Hello. I'm at;
www.obaitori.com
Thanks kindly,
Katie x