Wednesday 6 August 2008

books on teaching emotional intelligence

In a recent training workshop(for SRE teachers) at the Buddhist Council, its president made a point about how Buddhist Scripture is teaching in many way 'life skills' (in the lay sense. Dealing with emotions (our own and those off others), is an essential part of this training. Although these books are not Buddhist at all, I have bought a copy and now have them in the ever growing pile o things to read. If any Buddhist teachers has experience with any of these, I would appreciate your feedback.

Teaching Emotional Intelligence: Strategies and Activities for Helping Students Make Effective Choices. by Adina Bloom Lewkowicz. 2006

Fostering Emotional Intelligence in K-8 Students: Simple Strategies and Ready-To-Use Activities. by Gwen Doty. 2001

Emotional Intelligence . by Daniel Goleman. This is the book that probably coined the term and started the trend. Goleman is very well know researcher in the field of emotions.


Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships by Daniel Goleman.

2 comments:

Adina Bloom Lewkowicz said...

I am the author of "Teaching Emotional Intelligence" and I try to walk a spiritual path. I would love to hear your feedback after you read it. I am writing an adult version of the book that will include mindfullness.

Adina Bloom Lewkowicz

Rafael said...

Dear Adina,
Sorry for the delay. I was (am) on holidays, and not keeping up with the blog.
I think your book is great, and I hope many schools use it (do you know if they do?)
What I teach is Buddhist meditation, so I focus on mindfulness, and during the last term of last year we worked on emotions.

Within this context, I could not use many of your lessons or activities. This context is not only only defined by the spiritual teachings, but also the fact that the class is weekly and only 30min/week. Within this 30min we spend 10 in a meditation exercise,so there is not much left.

I am reading 'Destructive emotions' by D. Goleman, and is interesting that so many people is looking at how to teach emotional intelligence in schools, and how many have recognized the links to the Buddhist practice. The book describes a 5 day discussion between scientists and the Dalai Lama with other Buddhist monks.
When I digest all the ideas, and make my own, I will post them here.

Please let me know when you publish your new book!

Rafael