Friday 16 March 2007

4th class - coloring the story

This 4th week was more 'average' than the previous one, or at least more of what I am begining to expect.

The younger group was not as bad as last week, but the discipline was still an issue. I wish I had fewer students, it would be much easier. I talked with the teacher in charge of scriptures, and who takes care of discipline. She gave me some tips that I tried this week. Lets hope it works. I think she left two of the kids I sent to speak with her without the lunch break with friends. I hope it works. We spent most of the time coloring the book. I asked thm to focus on doing it well, making sure that they only color between the lines, and more importantly that they think about the image they are coloring. I walked around and asked a few of them what the image meant. Mixed responses. Some were not paying atention, but some did very well. We probably did about 5min seating. The truth is that I felt somewhat sad for not doing a bit better.
Note: there is a boy that seems to have serious problems with the English (tall and asian). I need to check on him next week.

The older group did not do as well as last time, probably because all teh class was there. But it was fine. Most of them wrote the story next to each image, and at least half had good recollection of what it meant. I still have to go through the notebooks to get a better feeling, than the approximation of walking around during class.
We discussed again the hindrances that we face when seating: discomfort, boredoom, sloth. And I gave examples with the different kids behaviours.
The girl with the curly hair did great again, she said she had been practising meditation while doing other things besides seating. I should congratulate the parents (if I knew how).

I will ned to photocopy, cut and glue the next lesson. We should be discussing the 2nd step: Right thoughts.

No comments: