Sunday 4 March 2007

the purpose of this blog

Why would I keep a blog? and why would I make it public?
I have asked this to myself several times, so I might as well blog the answer.

The first one is easy. It is well known in the scholarly research in education that reflective practice in teaching is a good practice. Becoming a Critically Reflective Teacher by Stephen D. Brookfield. Wiley 1995. ISBN: 978-0-7879-0131-8 is a popular book in these matters, at least here, between Australian academics. This blog addresses just that, practising reflection on my primary school teaching, and my own practise as a buddhist.

Why would I make this public?
This one is harder. Buddhism is all about eliminating the ego, but Blogs are normally tools for feeding it up. By keeping a blog, and making it public, would I be just feeding my ego?

On the positive side, it is said that teaching and spreading the dhamma is one of the most positive things we can do. Although I'm not a 'Teacher" (I leave that to the monks and nuns), maybe my experiences teaching (with lower case) kids are useful to other people.

I have not made up my mind yet. Maybe later on I make this public and ask for feedabck from Bhante Sister Sumitra, and other Teachers I respect. If they say its OK, then I will keep making it available.

No comments: