Saturday 23 June 2007

Manipulation or fatherly love?

A few weeks ago I used another popular story out of Buddha's live: 'the four sights'.
The story starts when Prince Siddharta wants to see the world outside the Palace. Until marriage, he had been kept inside the Palace and not allowed to go out. In most books I have read, the interpretation is that the King wanted Siddharta to be the next King, and was afraid (based on something an Oracle had said) that Siddharta might want to be a Sage, a wandering wise man, so he kept him inside.
In fact, even while Siddharta was in the Palace, the King had given orders to anything that might cause a negative impression on him should be removed. If someone was injured or dying, he was not allowed in the princely quarters. Only people looking happy were allowed to wander around.

Despite all the entertainment the King organized within the walls of the Palace: music, banquets, teachers, etc. Siddharta wanted to see the outside world. So after getting married, the King had to agree. Of course, before doing he ordered the city to be cleaned, and the street where he would walk had to be 'cleansed' of any unsightly views.

For anyone who has walked in the north of India, it would be obvious that this is not possible. Poverty and disease are in every street, even nowadays.

The story goes on, so I told the kids how he went around and saw four things that changed his life (actually we managed to read 3, before the fourth the bell rang and they ran outside)

The first one was an old man, who could hardly walk. When Siddharta saw he him, he asked his companion what was wrong with him. 'He is old, we all get old'


The second one one was a sick man. When Siddharta saw he him, he asked his companion what was wrong with him. 'He is sick, we all get sick'

Then he sighted a body being carried by two men on a wooden frame. When Siddharta saw this, he asked his companion what was happening. 'The person is dead, we all die'. 'Even the King, even I will die?' asked Siddharta. 'yes, I believe so'.

Finally Siddharta sighted a man wearing robes, carrying a bowl.

I didn't get to this last point, so I will tell people what happens when I do.
Meanwhile, something really interesting happened when I was explaining these ones to the kids. I normally try to relate the story to things that happen nowadays, and most likely in their lives, but I was having trouble contextualising this one.

I explained (my view) that the father loved Siddharta, and the King was probably doing what was best for Siddharta, and for the Kingdom.

Sometimes parents do not want their kids to see things that might affect them negatively.

One of the kids said something that opened my eyes: 'oh like what happens when they don't want us to see a TV show.' Exactly' I replied, 'thank you, your example is great'.
So there it is, another example of how kids teach us about Buddhism.

The question about the King's real intentions may still be open. But the girls example puts puts the issues closer to our modern heart. When we censor content from the web or the TV we are trying to help our kids, we are probably trying to show them a safer world than it really is. Not that the TV shows like CSI describe an everyday reality, but we may be trying to filter some of the suffering. On the other hand, at the appropriate age they should be able to cope with the perversity (at least the one of the the TV channels), because they will have to live in a world with TVs.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your experience. I remember having to attend scripture, I wish my parents subscribed to the Buddhist faith at that time. I am so lucky to have come across Buddhism only 2 years ago, it has changed my life. When I have a child, I will fill their lives with the teaching of Buddha.
Thanks again, it was a great read. It would be very difficult to teach Buddhism to young children - you're doing a great job.
Take care!

Rafael said...

Thank you for your encouragement