Friday 6 July 2007

The power of metta - loving kindness

In the last class of the term I wanted to discuss why developing loving kindness helps us and the people we love. I brought two Tibetan images, one silk embroidery with an image of the medicine Buddha and another with a golden Buddha in a distinct mudra (I think for wisdom). I also brought a photo of my grandmother, who was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

We looked at the images, and discussed the differences. The medicine Buddha is very popular in China and some of the students had seen it before. We then had an excellent sitting session. I asked if they had a person in their family who was very sick, if not I asked them to focus on my grandma. They very very quiet (specially the older ones) and were sending loving energy to people they loved or people that just needed it. It was a great session.

That night I called my mom who is taking care of my grandma. For the first first time in a week, she was able to get up and talk, even trying to listen to my 15month old baby :-)

The baby just woke up, so I better go...

No comments: