Monday 21 January 2008

preparing for the new year

A couple of days ago I got an email from Roselin the SRE coordinator for the NSW Buddhist council. The Council's president has organized a taxation office recognized charity, so they can take tax-deductible donations. The council plans to use part of this money to pay for teacher's expenses. Luckily I do not need mine  to be paid, but I am sure it will help a number of people out there who do a lot of teaching or have a lot of traveling expenses.

After the email my mind somehow spinned off (as they do) thinking about what I would do if I earned the Lotto (not that I ever play). I added 'create scholarship for non-English speaking monk or nun' to the list. There are so many wise and compassionate Sangha members that could help teaching to a wider audience, if 1) they were here in Australia 2) had good English communication skills. It is now written in stone (well on a digital one)...

Roselin also mentioned that she will be organizing a meeting with all the teachers at the end of March. I look forward to it. Regrettably I was overseas for the one at the end of last year.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am glad I stumbled upon your journal while searching for 'Buddhist Scriptures', particularly by Siddharta (the fourt Buddha). If you know where I may be able to acquire some of these, please let me know.
I, too, am an Australian. Good to meet you, fellow Australian.

--
Hatred cannot be destoryed by hatred, but by love.

Rafael said...

Sorry for the delay in responding. I had not noticed your comment/question.

There are many good books about Buddhism. I am not sure in what specific topic you are interested. The 'scriptures' in Buddhism are called the Dhamma (or Dharma). The words of Buddha (or something similar) where only written years after his death, first in Pali (Sutras), then in Sanskrit (Sutta). You can learn more in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_texts#Sutta

I normally recommend people to listen to the Dhamma directly from a monk. If you are in Australia BuddhaNet has a list of temples: http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkxNl5aNHy2oB4qNXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE5cDJ2ZGVjBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA3NrMQR2dGlkA0gwNjlfMTIyBGwDV1Mx/SIG=11dg7o6k2/EXP=1202009829/**http%3a//www.buddhanet.net/

Unknown said...

I suppose I am a little confused. My understanding is that each of the Buddhas left scriptures, but I am very interested in Siddharta Gautuma's scriptures after his death, not the scriptures of the earlier Buddhas. I was actually interested in acquiring a copy of the actual scriptures so I can read them myself, but understand they were written in Pali. I was hoping that the scriptures may have been translated into English. I am new to Buddhism, but I think I might go to the Buddhist library in Camperdown and become a member, because my local library, even the State library, don't seem to have that many books on Buddhism.

Also, if you know of a good book on 'how' I can practice metta, please let me know. I am finding the practice very difficult. I have been doing Vipassana meditation. Is this the Theravada tradition? I have a friend who practices Tibetan buddhism and I am told Vipassana meditation is different to other forms of meditation and is more an Indian type of meditation. Wow, there's so much to learn and I am very interested, but might need to be guided in the right direction. Do you know of a book that you might be able to recommend that explains the history of Buddhism, from the first Buddha to the last (was that Siddharta?). I know it is predicted the next Buddha would arrive in 5000 years. As you can see, I am new to Buddhism and there are a number of books out there, but I think I am starting to get a little confused!
Any help would be greately appreciated.
Much metta to you.