Thursday 19 July 2007

Interfaith contributions of meditation

Most of my students come from non-Buddhist background. Why are the Buddhist scripture classes then so popular? I think it is because of meditation's popularity, or at least the increased knowledge of the benefits of meditation.

I said yesterday "I don't think any of you is being forced to come to this class, is there?" and 2 o three students said "I am". Interestingly non had a Buddhist background, so their families are sending them to my class because they think that what I teach (and not necessarily about Buddha) will benefit their kids. They are probably of Christian background, and the School has several Christian, both Catholic and protestant clergy.

The spread of meditation is actually happening in all religions. Recently I was talking with a Jewish friend who started doing meditation. I was so happy when she told me she was planning her first retreat. I know that with two children it is not an easy commitment. She had first asked me to recommend a place, but regrettably because she lives in the US I was not able to help her. So when she told me she had found a place I was curious to know more. Elat Chayyim has meditation retreats guided by two Rabbis. One (Rabbi Alan Lew) seems to be a Zen teacher as well. I don't know much about Judaism, but I think this is an interesting combination. My friend is putting a lot of trust in these teachers so I hope they are good teachers.

No comments: